View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepro View Post
I agree with this for the most part, remember why an engine needed to break it, to wear some parts in and at one time get all the left over bits of metal from poor machining, manufacturing is so much better now that I have only seen one locked up motor under 5k miles presumably from not breaking it in, it was a brand new Pontiac gran prix, a 1996. That said, there are many other moving parts in the trans and diff as well, so IMO(I did not buy mine new) I would drive it 1k easy change all the fluids and red line away..JMO. On topic I agree with others there is no perfect rpm, you will learn your car and engine and shift by sound, it will become second nature, not all situations are identical, we have hills everywhere, nothing it flat, which sometimes it requires more engine power to achieve the desired acceleration. I know when my car is going to hit red line without looking at the tach, you simply learn the car. Drive it and see what feels good, thats all.
Driving easy, if there are some parts left needing to break in still, will hold them back from their potential. The GTR is practically raced before it leaves the factory. It sees redline, full redline shifts, brakes are glowing orange etc. bikes are also no different when they leave Japan. The 370 will not get this treatment. You need to do full 60 to 10 mph breaks over and over 6-7 times to bed them in, you need to flex the motor and swell the piston rings to get them to seat more, and you need to drain all fluids and refill. Cars fully done in under 200 miles. Leaving the fluids in for 1k is to long. The diff at least has a piss poor magnet to catch metal. My tranny didn't.

Last edited by synolimit; 11-28-2013 at 05:36 AM.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote