View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggo1961 View Post
Thanks all for your comments. No snow yet just south of Toledo, but not far away I dont think. I like the rims idea too, but just cant quite manage that extra green back right now, so will stay with the spt pkg sizes with Blizzak LM60's which are the cheapest, and with a 4 for 3 deal not too bad. I'll just have to stay at home during the worst of it...........I am def keeping the 370z for the long term (At least 4 year +) just might have to look for a job further south....
Of course I could use the wifes Mazda3Speed in the winter more...............but to be honest is just as bad with the all season tires in the winter even with the front wheel drive. She has trouble getting up a 5 degree driveway into the garage with a sprinkle of snow!! Oh well just drive safe everybody!
I have 19 Sports for both summer and winter. Expensive as I wanted the car to look the same in both seasons. I have Blizzaks LM60 as well for winter. Very aggressive tread pattern for the winter/traction. I have not had any real problems overall in 3 years of winter driving here. I keep a 25kilo sealed bag of road salt in the hatch storage area for additional traction in colder times.

The car is a bit light loaded in the rear and traction is key now that its colder. A colleague at work had to climb a bit of a hill in his Z and used to pack up tools to and place them in the back to negotiate a hill out of his town in the winter.

In the case of your other car, you should get true winter tires for it. FWD with good winter tires is a very capable configuration and should not have much difficulty negotiating a reasonable hill. I have a 12 GTI and it has winter tires on and its fairly unstoppable.

All seasons are simply not good enough for anything at all in terms of winter performance. Very occasional use in the winter in very very light snow might be all they are good for. A true winter tire should make your Mazda a nice winter driver. Id recommend investing there more so than the Z.
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote