View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef kid View Post
I don't think you are going to drive it through ohio snows. Stick with a set of winter tires and switch them in the spring. The advantage to an extra set of rims is its so much easier to change them out. They do say smaller tires are better for grip, but again, I don't see you driving through a ton of snow. Did you get any snow this weekend?
We all drive our Z's and G's in ohio winter without issue if you have the proper tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleONE View Post
As said above 18s would give you a bit more traction, however how far can you really push the Z in the winter. Another positive to having a second set of wheels you are minimizing chances of damage when remounting tires each winter/summer
18's have nothing to do with it. It's the width of a tire. OEM is 245 front on a 19, I'm running a 285 on a 18...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
To add my thought, you risk rim damage each time you mount and un mount tires.... also, do 18" rims fit over the sport brakes?
I only go to shops that use touchless machines. No risk that way.

OP, if you can't afford wheels and tires just go tires. Find a touchless shop and use a tire diameter calculator online to get the front and rear tires close to each other. With your 9" front and 10" rear, safely you can only go as low as 235 front and 255 rear. This will cut the snow and be nice. Again though use the calculator online to find the sidewall height you need for both. Last, the price will also determine what size you buy. For example 275/35 lm60 are cheaper for me than 255/40. While the 255/40 on the front might be better, I'm not going to die using a 275/35 that's still a high performance winter tire.