View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

Rear shock tower reinforcement:

Quote from Vorshlag's site - "Since we moved the suspension loads in the rear from the OEM (divorced) spring location to the shocks (coilover), we had to reinforce the rear shock towers extensively. Our fabricators spent over 6 hours stitch welding, adding steel plate reinforcements, seam sealing and painting the shock towers in the rear"

I am really not sure if this step was necessary, as I've never seen any punch-through in the Z, G, or Genesis communities. However, in reading the horror stories in some of the older BMW's, and my car being a full weight street car, may or may not run into pot holes, I decided not to take any chance. It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Before

"OEM rear shock mount (above) and the 1/8" thick steel plate we replaced it with. This new plate was seam TIG welded to the shock towers."

"All black marks show wear stitch welds and rosette welds will soon be added. The factory pieces are only spot welded together in a few places."

Working hard

"After extensive paint removal, seam welding, fabrication and seam sealer the rear section was repainted in the factory color."

Last edited by cv129; 12-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
cv129 is offline   Reply With Quote