View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

Warning: Subjective, noob review coming...

My weekend, very early, morning drive always consist of driving through a section of a freeway.
  • Approx 5 miles section of a freeway
  • Some elevation changes and consecutive banked curves
  • Uneven surface, dips and bumps in the middle of the curves

I want to take this chance to highlight some things I felt with stock tire setup 245/285 Yoko sports vs the 265/285 RE-11.

A quick pic before I started my first morning drive with the new tires.

Stock suspension and tires: pushing the car through the section felt...kinda safe. I felt the stock shocks and dampers did their job in keeping the car from getting too upset, and back end never felt too loose. Up/down movements were controlled at double digits...pushed into the triple digits, things started to feel a bit rough, but still manageable.

Stock suspension, new tires: reduced the stagger, 265F and 285R RE11...the most noticeable change was, through those dips, specifically the moments when the car pushed/settled back down onto the pavement after the initial upward launch (like when the springs are extended and now need to pull back to the original state), that moment where the tires got compressed hard against the pavement, the front felt much more dominant, and the rear would get a little more upset/twisty, and tiny changes in steering input were needed. Tested over the same curves and dips over and over, and concluded that the car was more nervous/less linear (not necessarily a bad thing, every track guy in the 370z community suggests square setup for pretty much spirited driving to autox and tracking, but my need is different, skill level not as high)

So ^ prompted me to really looked forward to the SPL front arms being done and I could finally get my suspension changes underway.

Again, this is purely my impression. Do not blindly take my words. A 280whp 370z is the fastest thing I've ever had.

Last edited by cv129; 11-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
cv129 is offline   Reply With Quote