View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS138 View Post
Phunk , do the big squishy tires really allow for enough front-back weight transfer that you don't need to soften up suspension? I'm asking I have no first hand knowledge of dragging this car. Are you saying the problem is that if too much load is transferred , this car cambers out too far and you lose grip? How about starting at positive camber?
I am saying that unless you have big squishy tires, as in real squishy like a real drag slick, that you not want weight transfer due to the camber this car generates.

Normally you want weight transfer in the back. But that weight transfer does you no good on drag radials because it reduces your contact patch to nothing. Example... If I do a rolling second gear burnout, the patches on the road are about 2-3" wide. My tires are 315/30/18. With stock shocks my car squats a lot, and to make it worse, I'm starting with crappy control arm angles by being lowered a lot on springs, causing the camber to pull in even faster with every bit on compression. If I put stock springs in, I would get more contact as my control arm angles would be better. If I put in real hard shocks, it would get better yet, as there would be less compression to cause camber.

Starting at positive would be ideal, especially if running all stock suspension and soft slicks... But nobody here is going to do it... It's too far into the drag only realm.

What I'm saying applies to this car and this car only (and 350z). Not all IRS cars have this problem... But this is why you don't see many fast Zs. It's rare that a Z owner is committed enough to go to full slicks and small wheels/brakes. But without that.. 1.8-1.9 60' is all your getting. There's tons of 350zs that have had the power to go single digits... You can probably count on one hand how many have done it.

Last edited by phunk; 11-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote