View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag_black View Post
I'm looking to pick up either kiwi w/ dashcommand or a physical scanner. What's the general consensus for physical obd II scanners vs plx kiwi wifi 2 and software?

I'm really only using it to check codes and to check system readiness.
For your stated purposes, speed is not critical and any Bluetooth/Wi-Fi lag wouldn't be important.

I use a ScanGuageII (plugs straight into the OBD port) for reading/clearing DTCs and real-time monitoring of speed, water temp, IAT and one more param depending on what I am interested in at the time. For logging, I bought an ELM-based OBD-to-USB adapter that I connect to a laptop. I can also read/clear DTCs with the software but it's easier to use the ScanGuage.

The ScanGuage runs about $160 dollars, so that may not be the best option for you. The OBD-to-USB adapter was $20-30, I already had the laptop laying around, and I downloaded the software for free.