View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute
Default UpRev ECU tune results for Semtex's Z

Okay guys, I just got back from having my car dyno-tuned by Sharif over at Forged Performance. First off, I'd like to say a big thank you to Sharif for spending so much time tuning my car today -- he spent a little over 4 hours and did like 30 pulls getting the most he could out of my car.

So here are the results:

With A/F ratios:

Baseline: 311.9. Final number: 318.1 Net gain: 6.2whp

Needless to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. Sharif's theory is that my car's stock tune was pretty stout to begin with, hence the gains to be had via tuning may be comparatively small. It actually makes sense. Those of you who have been following my mods and my gains know that I've been getting dyno numbers that have been somewhat higher than most. That has led some to refer to my car as a factory freak. (And it's also led some douches to question the veracity of my numbers.) Well, maybe my ECU tune results bear out the 'factory freak' theory. Maybe my car really is/was a factor freak in that my ECU came from the factory unusually mod-friendly. It would account for the wide gaps between my numbers and some of the others I've observed. Nissan does ship the Z out with many different ROMs, after all. If others get large gains from ECU tuning while I get a small one, it evens everything up and the universe makes sense again, for all of us.

One other thing that may be coming into play is heat soak. 30 pulls, give or take a couple, folks. That's a lot of time on the dyno. Sharif actually shut things down for a half hour at one point to just let the car cool, and when he did the next run, it immediately came in 4whp higher. So my point is that my gain from this may actually be understated.

I will say this -- when I drove home, my car felt significantly quicker. When I hit the throttle, my thought was "there's no way I only gained 6."

SO . . . I'm going to schedule a baseline run over at a local shop that has a DynoJet. My last DynoJet run at that same shop yielded 330whp. We'll see what I make on their DynoJet now. I'll update this thread when I get the DynoJet results in.

(As always, please remember to rep if you found this info useful. )
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote