View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #76 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from running the tattletale test. Removed the rear hood seal. Taped two pieces of twine (some fluorescent pink stuff I had hanging around, the stuff you see used on construction sites to hold a spirit level) to the back edge of the hood where the creases in the hood are and another to the wiper arm (centerline of car). Up to about 30-35 mph, they didn't move at all. Above that, they indicated that some air was going into the engine compartment.

But that may have just been turbulence. I parked and turned the A/C on to turn the radiator fan on. Engine was well warmed up (170F oil temp) but I could feel no heat coming from the rear of the hood. On inspection, I found the gap between the hood and the engine compartment is very small.

My conclusion is that removing the seal doesn't accomplish much, if anything. Off to put the seal back on.
Edit: the fasteners for the seal are not evenly spaced, so it's all but impossible to install it wrong.

Last edited by SouthArk370Z; 11-11-2013 at 08:57 AM.
SouthArk370Z is offline   Reply With Quote