View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneLSX-TT View Post
Yes, and that is where the AT LEAST portion comes into play.

He could go up to their 10.5" which does fit. The spacer on the front would have to be dropped though. IIRC there was already a 370Z running those rims in 10.5's square for a track setup, I think he had aftermarket brakes though. I'm just not sure if they'd clear the front brakes. FWIW the rear Nismo rims 10.5" have an offset of +23 and they cleared the front brakes for me.

The 10.5's would be very flush on the rear with the right spacer. The 10.5's would probably stick out on the front a tad without some negative camber.

Just my opinion of course, but I'd rather have the extra meat if possible. That's also probably because my 305's on the rear still slip too much. It's worth the few extra pounds to me. He can always upgrade brakes, and add more power, etc to compensate. vs. selling his rims and tires and then buying another set in 10.5 later.

Either way, rotating tires FTW.
So he wants a track setup (lighter the better), a 275 max tire, and you want him at "at least" 10" (which makes no sense at all with that small tire and unnecessary weight)? Great advice.

I understand it'll fit but its totally not necessary and will hinder performance. I understand a spacer can hinder performance too since you could just find a wheel and offset to work without one, but I'd take the spacer at the hub over a 10.5" wheel since all the added weight from a 9.5" to a 10.5" wheel will move the weight out further from the hub which is bad.

On a track car you really don't want to be near flush. You have no idea what certain turns will do with your suspension choices and rubbing and killing a tire is not a good thing. If he wants those wheels I say go for it. They should fit perfect with no spacer at all keeping the weight down. If he wants to track plus go for the "look", then he might end up buying a big rear spacer and a small front spacer.

As for more meat I'm sure he'll do fine with 275's square or even 285's which is the max for a 9.5" wheel. Why you're slipping and you think you need more meat, I'm sure tires could be improved maybe or a better alignment or just ease up on throttle exit.

And yes, rotate FTW.

Last edited by synolimit; 11-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote