Thread: Porsche 911sc
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
dtul
Base Member

Drives: n/a
dtul will become famous soon enough

I would never get rid of a new car for an old 911. If you had the 911 and kept the Z along with it I would say go for it, but you are only asking for trouble if you just have the 911. The old ones had a ton of problems. My dad tells me stories about his '87 when it was new and I just cringe when I imagine having to deal with them. He had it for 8 months, and it was in the shop for 5 of those. I would imagine the problems on a used one that probably has at least 50k miles or so would be even worse. He thought about buying one as a weekend cruiser a few years back, but he just did not want to deal with all the problems he had when it was new in addition to the problems that would come from its advanced age, even if it was only driven occasionally.

If you are able to keep the Z though, then definitely try an old 911 out. The Porsches really aren't that expensive, you could probably get a good one for $20-30k.

Also the guy that mentioned the 911 Club Sport being faster; that was a limited production model that I think they made less than 400 or so of. It was built with club racing in mind and was a barebones car made specifically for track use. A new Accord V6 being slightly slower does not make the 911 more impressive because the Accord it is built with a completely different intention in mind. You cannot really compare either one with the other because they were built for different purposes.
dtul is offline   Reply With Quote