View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
TXSpeedDemon
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 03 MSP, R8 v10
TXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

5 is a really small number to narrow it down to....

1) Tupac. There's really no contest to me here. No other rapper can tell a story as well as he could. Nor does any other rapper have the charisma to cross over race and gender boundaries like he did.

2) A Tribe Called Quest. Individually...Meh. But together they helped create the foundation for hip-hop culture.

3) De La Soul. Best authentic Hip Hop live show you will ever go to, even now. I saw them back in 2010 and they were great.

4) Talib Kewli & Mos Def. At their best as Black Star but each could hold their own as a solo artist as well. Saw them live in 2011... not bad, but no where near as good as De La Soul.

5) Joell Ortiz - this is a personal preference. Probably not really top 5 all time (prob not even top 25), but consistently underrated. Really funny lyricist.

Over favs - Notorious BIG, Wale, Outkasts, The Roots, Mobb Deep, Little Brother, Slum Village, Wu-Tang, J-Live, Akrobatic, Guru, Eric B and Rakim... too many to list. Been listening to Hip-Hop since the mid 80s.

If you guys like Hip-Hop music (more specifically east coast) then you should check out TTTradio.net. They do a live show every friday night with multiple DJs across the country. Great show on from around 6pm-11pm depending on the DJs playing. You'll hear a lot of classic 90s stuff and some new ones too. I honestly listen to downloaded mixtapes from these guys more than anything else. best way to get a great variety.
TXSpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote