View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #67 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Correct. I never said a bigger one wouldnt do anything. Chuck is correct on everything he said and what I was trying to say.

Actually chuck I tuned and dyno'd from just the OEM tmic and my FMIC and saw no lag. In fact my FMIC lines never touched the tmic lines on HP or TQ during the runs. It gained quite a bit of everything and with the cooler charge temps timing could be increased. I will say this though, a turbos size does make a difference. In 09 the WRX got the same flow rate turbo as the 08+ STI. That's why WRX's now are faster then stis and can make the same power or more. They are lighter, better gear ratios, and run a OEM turbo about 38 lbs/min. Now the 08 and below WRX turbo (the little td04) is about 28 lbs/min. That little thing would probably see negative results using our large 12x26x3" FMIC.

Not that it matters here but here's a before and after tmic vs FMIC only. Also as you can see, full boost by 3600 rpm with such a big core is awesome!

Here's my best maxed out OEM motor, turbo, tranny, clutch etc. I believe it was 22-23psi with a taper down to 15-16psi. Still sub 4000 rpm and boost hitting mid 3000.

I don't want to be the guy arguing semantics, but we're talking about two different things. You're correct, the FMIC doesn't materially effect the boost threshold of the turbo. I was talking about lag during changes in throttle position. At least for me, there was a noticable increase in the time it took for there to be positive pressure in the manifold from having to pressurize an additional eight feet of pipe. Granted, I was still running the OEM VF39 and those don't exactly move a lot of air.