Thread: burning oil
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #52 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
1. Q: How does one decide what oil change interval to use?
A: no one can give a good answer, so I change mine every 5k miles. Why 5k you might ask? well its super easy to remember to change at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 etc. no computer or sticker needed. just look at your odometer and know exactly where you are at. 5k is conservative but that's okay by me.
A lot of variables involved The only accurate way to tell is with UOA. Your 5K intervals are fine for most DDs. I'm sticking to Nissan's 3750, at least until the warranty runs out.

Quote:
2. Q:What oil should I use?
A: Wow we have beat this thing to DEATH! Please lets not do it again. Use whatever is easy enough to get that you do it on time, every time. (for me Mobile 1 is always coming on sale so I stock up and keep 10-15 quarts always ready to go in if any of my 3 cars hits a 5k increment)
For most DDs, any high-quality oil will do the job.

Quote:
3. Q:Should our car burn oil.
A: Who cares? some do some don't. Some start after a few years, some don't. all that seems to matter is that you check your dipstick when your filling up to make sure you don't toast your engine. (technique only)
I don't know of an engine that doesn't burn some oil. Every car I've owned burned at least a little. I don't get too worried as long as it's less than about a half-quart between oil changes.
I don't put a whole lot of miles on my Z (~7K/year) and don't have to fillup very often so I check my oil every week or two. While I'm under the hood, I check other fluid levels, belts, &c and then check tire condition/pressures.

Quote:
The car is just a pile of parts. If you goof up and break some, (either due to abuse, normal use or neglect), then swap em out. That's the beauty of any machine, it is essentially immortal. Drive it. break it. upgrade/fix it, repeat.
Amen. I hate to see any equipment abused but the Z was made to be driven. If you feel like you need to baby it, maybe it's not the car for you.

I like my 370Z. A lot. The best all-around car I've owned - plenty of power, great handling, nice interior, and a sexy exterior. But it's just a car.