Thread: burning oil
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #49 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no mechanic or engineer, here are some things things that I have wondered about.

1. Q: How does one decide what oil change interval to use?
A: no one can give a good answer, so I change mine every 5k miles. Why 5k you might ask? well its super easy to remember to change at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 etc. no computer or sticker needed. just look at your odometer and know exactly where you are at. 5k is conservative but that's okay by me.

(technique only)

2. Q:What oil should I use?
A: Wow we have beat this thing to DEATH! Please lets not do it again. Use whatever is easy enough to get that you do it on time, every time. (for me Mobile 1 is always coming on sale so I stock up and keep 10-15 quarts always ready to go in if any of my 3 cars hits a 5k increment)

(technique only)

3. Q:Should our car burn oil.
A: Who cares? some do some don't. Some start after a few years, some don't. all that seems to matter is that you check your dipstick when your filling up to make sure you don't toast your engine. (technique only)

If you don't like that your engine burns oil, rebuild it! That's it. Please don't try to make me feel bad that my engine does. Or feel superior that yours does not. It's a machine. It is expensive and difficult to get running perfectly. If my car burns a bit. its way easier to top off now and then then it is to get all bent out of shape and try to make it "perfect"... once I have an extra $5-10k sitting around maybe I'll build an engine with tighter tolerances. Until then It's in the acceptable range.

The car is just a pile of parts. If you goof up and break some, (either due to abuse, normal use or neglect), then swap em out. That's the beauty of any machine, it is essentially immortal. Drive it. break it. upgrade/fix it, repeat.

-low on time/interest? --expect failure and pay for repairs. (perhaps often)
-low on money or high on interest? --Pamper and maintain your Z meticulously... then pay for repairs anyhow (just not as many)

All the moral posturing I see here makes me wonder why we want to tell each other how to enjoy our cars. Yes, I like to understand my Z's systems and construction, but not everyone does. That is cool too.

My advice is. Drive it, love it, break it, fix it, repeat!

Anything can be fixed. (except perhaps self-righteousness)
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote