View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
rgunho
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z Bk M6
rgunho is on a distinguished road
Default Dealership oil change ?

I've been to two dealerships for oil changes. The service technicians always ask what type of oil I want. I tell him I want the recommended oil or better. I happen to know that Mobil 1 oil is only partially synthetic. They do make a full synthetic that cost much more. Anyhow, I ask them about the Nissan Ester oil that is recommended. They cannot tell me the difference between ester and synthetic. I usually just tell them to use the Nissan Ester oil.

The other day I get a call from one of the dealerships asking me about my recent service. I tell them everything is fine but someone should clear up the oil situation with the service department.

Today I get a call from Nissan. They apologize for the confusion and say they are going to send out a training update to the service department. The guy informs me he knows a lot about oil blends and can answer my question.

"Tell me the difference between the Nissan recommended Ester oil and synthetics. " This is his response surmised.

Nissan Ester oil is a formulation that is like the esters used in ac compressors. They are recommended for use in the new Maxima, Z cars and GTR. Basically the Ester oil maintains a consistent viscosity at a range of temperatures and high pressures like Nissan's high performance engines produce.

The Mobil Full Synthetic is recommended in these engines as well. The Mobil full Synthetic contains the same Esters blends as the Nissan Ester oil.

"Which is the best oil for my car?" He says, " The Mobil Full Synthetic is the best oil for the high performance vehicles at this time."

There you go.
rgunho is offline   Reply With Quote