View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
SharpByCoop
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '08 G37S - Graphite
SharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb

I've always despised the phrase: "He BLEW his motor!" 99.9% of the time HE didn't do this on purpose, the motor blew.

In my case this is only partially true. I drove it 20 miles before it completely locked up. LOL! Crank bearings = NFG.

I ran five HARD passes at the dragstrip attempting to get ONE clean run. Each time the friggin' fuel cut or some limiter come on and then went off. Almost always in second gear. This has happened in the past, and Jimmy (my builder) told me to hold it up there a little higher. Last Dec I did, and it went 11.13et. Twice.

This time: not so fortunate. Working boost guage with memory never exceeded 15.8 lbs, despite twisting it a turn. Jimmy's convinced that did it. I'm not. It barely went 120mph in any configuration.

I was trying to better the 11.13 time. So STUPID close to the tens, I HAD to try. Wouldn't you?

I had installed 4.08:1 gears and considered this to help. Truth is, on the street this is a GREAT mod. At the track, it didn't let the engine boost OR work. I'm dead certain that was the wrong direction. For me. But I had to try it to find out.

Play with fire. Yes, same components I ran before.

No excuses. The dragstrip is HARD on parts. Five runs in a row flogging it didn't help. (All but one were in the mid elevens.)

The car was smooooth as silk and ran stupendous with over 550whp, until 'I BLEW IT' by going to the strip. LOL!

That is all. I'm searching for an OEM engine and will be parting out the performance parts. Soon.

Jim

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 10-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote