View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dwight Frye
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 Tour/Sport/6MT
Dwight Frye will become famous soon enough
Default Refreshed Brake, Clutch & Power Steering Fluids, Interesting Phenomenon

My '09 370 has 35K miles on it and I decided that it might be a good preventive maintenance move to "refresh" the power steering fluid and brake & clutch fluids and drive it another year before I have the dealer do a complete flush and refill.
The procedure was to use a turkey baster to suck the fluid from the reservoirs, refill, drive for a week to mix the new fluid with whatever fluid was in the lines and the system, and then repeat. I figured after one repeat process that the fluid in all systems would be pretty fresh. The first thing I noticed was that the clutch fluid turned dark almost immediately when blended with the fluid in the lines. The brake fluid did not. After repeating the process, the next time the clutch fluid remained pretty clear so I was satisfied.
Here's the odd thing. I noticed no difference in the power steering and brake feel or performance and had not really expected any. However, I noticed almost immediately that the judder that I often had when releasing the clutch in 1st gear, not matter how smooth my technique was (and I have been driving manual transmissions since 1968 so it's second nature) seemed to be lessened a great deal. Placebo effect ? I don't think so. It's an easy procedure and fairly inexpensive if anyone else wants to try it. Opinions ?
Dwight Frye is offline   Reply With Quote