View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
There are many obstructions in that area of the tank and the overall cutaway shape is very complex. There is also a longitudal baffle to be dealt with.

It's a good idea in theory but I have my doubts it could be done real world.

I don't think magnets will be strong enough to handle the weight of fuel pushing it.. It's very heavy.

I have always wondered how much it could possibly help though if someone were to try cramming the area with fuel cell foam. It will not fix it 100% but it might help enough to make a difference. This, and your idea, could potentially make filling the tank a bit of a hassle as I imagine the gas pump stopping short and having to wait a moment for fuel to transfer through (the filler is on the same side as the pump), then filling more... Possibly several times, or maybe not at all. Could be worth a shot for how cheap it is?

Anyway, if you want to try your idea..I could try my best to make you a template from my R&D tank.. But it will have to be a ways off to one side to avoid all the items in the fuel tank.

I think a permenantly attached wall with one way flaps would be a more successful twist of your idea.

I dunno... Food for thought anyway. I attached a picture for you, not sure if it will work right from my iPad.
I saw the baffle in there. I'd just cut it out since the door will act as something in there now. Although if filling is an issue maybe that inch or so left open would be a nice leak point. But if its to much than it'd have to go.

Magnets should be strong enough as long as the hinges can move very freely. Like blowing on the plate freely. That should take any weight out of the equation.

I see that stuff in there now. I don't think my 13 has all that. I'll have to go look. But if it does the hinge and magnet should slide right up to the piece since the hinge will make the door stick out further allowing clearance.

Your idea would be better but I'm trying to avoid cutting and getting the tank full of shrapnel.

I'd take a templet though if offered. Or I buy a tank at the yard for $200.