Thread: The Z and SUV's
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
In2Deep
Base Member

Drives: Plat Graphite Spt/Tr
In2Deep is on a distinguished road
Default The Z and SUV's

Driving defensively, and anticipating the worst case scenario -- only goes so far. Z got bruised -- but isn't beaten.

Knowing very well that our low-slung Z's fly mostly invisible in SUV sideview mirrors, I keep that in mind whenever passing or coming up on one at a stop-light, etc. Unfortunately, sudden maneuvers by drivers of these large cars can't always be avoided.

So here's the quick run-down of my fender bender last week. Live and learn (or be reminded)....

Older woman driving a near-new Escalade is stopped at a light, about 10 cars back, in the left lane of a two lane major street.

I'm in the right lane, slowly approaching the line of about 5 cars stopped at the same light (so, true to human nature and the SUV driver, it presents a great opportunity to make up 5 positions in line).

Just as I'm rolling upon the Escalade (normal, as-expected speed in such a stop light scenario..maybe 5MPH, if that), with me being about 5 car lengths behind the last stopped car in my row of stopped cars, Ms. impatient Escalade driver, I guess trying to make up for 5 car lengths at a stop light (light is still red, no one moving) decides to jump out of her line, into mine. Crunch.

Basically this low-speed side-swipe of sorts -- wrinkles my entire left front quarter panel, and tags the left front fascia, separating the two slightly. Just body damage -- no wheel contact. Car was comletely driveable (as normal) -- just badly bruised.

Lady pulls immediately to the side of the road, apologizes profusely, gives all insurance and license info -- and we move on. I contact her insurance company the next morning, and they say she has already called in the claim, and stated was here fault. That said, and with all those uninsured and questionable people out there on the roads....I got lucky to be hit by someone "legit", and willing to accept the appropriate responsibility for the incident.

Now just have to find a capable body shop to fix my ride to new condition.
Definitely more an inconvenience than anything else. But gotta say....until she gets fixed....driving the Z with a black eye and abrasion....just doesn't deliver the same joyous emotional driving experience. I guess it's an ego thing.

Drive safe out there, Brothers, and just know that our low profiles are stealthy -- and the large, higher profile SUV's..basically don't know we're there.

I2D