View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to new tires that have some break-in time, since new tires are SLICK when brand new.

As a biker, new tires are like riding on slightly oily tires for the first 50-100 miles - gotta take it easy on the turns and stuff...
I've read this very fact you state above. However, as a rebuttal:

My buddy has a Mazda Speed 6 with AWD and we did our final track day of the season yesterday. The morning was bitterly cold with rain and the track was more of an ice-skating rink (slippery, not icy). I was struggling to accelerate out of corners and kept losing the back end if I was too energetic. My buddy in the AWD Speed 6 had brand spanking new tires and was driving away from everyone on the track. Coming out of a turn, he could put all the power down without much slip at all. Vettes were hitting guard-rails and he was laughing as he lapped Mustang GTs. Now granted there is a big AWD factor here, but if the tires were truly oily and slick when new, I'd think he'd have had bigger issues up front.

I guess if I had new tires too, I'd have seen how much of a problem new tires really were .