View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #177 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta79 View Post
Criminal, yes. Civil, unfortunately no. If this happened in TX I would bet the driver of the RR would be able to sue the guy he ran over for damage to his truck, but since it happened in NY he will get sued and at BEST he will have to pay a large amount of money to settle the case.

I will never forget what my uncle's lawyer once told him (my uncle lives in NJ): "If you ever hit someone in NY, make sure you back up and kill the guy. It will go a lot easier for you in court."

And no, he wasn't kidding.
Some truth to that, but there is nothing stopping the RR guy from filing a lawsuit against the bikers for assault either. There will be a lot of grey areas in this case for sure.

The only person I see who has a shot at suing the RR driver is the guy in the coma with a broken spine. Even then though, you can make the argument that he ceased to be a bystander the moment he chose to put his motorcycle in front of the SUV.

Last edited by Cmike2780; 10-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote