View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #1350 (permalink)
F.I. Inc.
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 GT-R/2007 F-250
F.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
That's the damn truth. Things happen MUCH faster once you slap a pair of turbos on one of these things. It's very controllable, but the penalty for stupidity is much higher.
There is no doubt it and everything you just said is so true. The beauty of having an electronic boost controller is the capability to ramp the boost in hard and aggressive or much more progressive and softer. With the push of a few buttons you can alter the entire driving experience.

When we were at the drag strip we had the wastegates clamped shut until 8 psi so it would not bleed off boost to soon. The torque curve was very steep and she made well over 400 ft lbs. right around 3,000 rpm. This worked great for the track because the prep was excellent and the car was holding traction. Now the other end of the spectrum was when I drove her through "The Tail of the Dragon" earlier this year at ZDayZ. I did this the Sunday morning just after it poured for hours. Anyone who was there knows how hard it rained late that Saturday night in to the Sunday morning. Now, it probably was not the smartest thing to take her our through the Dragon being TT with wet roads. Nevertheless, I made it back in one piece and so did the car. I set the boost controller to open the wastegates at 3 psi. Now I can do this because we put a light spring in there. A 3 lb. spring to be exact. The boost came on much softer and the curve was much more progressive. Doing this made the drive doable and tolerable without wrapping the car around a tree or over a cliff.

So there were just a few examples of how you can set it up to work. At the end of the day it is still boost and can bite you back real hard if you make the wrong mistake at the wrong time. It only takes once!

Thanks, Tony
www.fastintentions.com
"FUELED BY PASSION"
F.I. Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote