View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #75 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12031948 View Post
Oh yes, people on welfare do get free car service to go to their medical doctor. Just like a free phone. Well it's not free, we pay for it. It's free for some people. I'll be back if you need details... That's NOT how to build a strong & healthy & fair country!!!
First off, that free "Obama phone" program is was highly misleading propaganda spurred by rumors. It was program called Lifeline Assistance that began in 1996 to provide land lines to those who couldn't afford it. It was enacted under Clinton, continued under Bush and expanded to include cell phones instead of land lines. That switch coincidently started under Obama and the rumor spread. Yes, technically anyone on welfare can apply, but again, that's another issue. An applicant is generally eligible if they are at or below 135-150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or if they already participate in one of many public assistance programs such as Medicaid, food stamps, energy assistance, public housing....etc. As far as tax payers paying for it...it's yes and no. The money actually comes from a small fee added to most people’s monthly phone bills, called the Universal Service Fund fee.

As far as "free" cab rides, that's really skimming the bottom for excuses. Maybe it would help if you pictured a white 90 year old woman living alone, who worked all her life, payed her taxes, eventually used up all her money and just needs a ride to her doctor. Trust me, I wish we knew who rightfully deserves the aid and who's gaming the system. It's just not a valid argument for this debate.