View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Japanjay
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z MB M6
Japanjay is on a distinguished road

Same exact thing happened to me. But I picked mine up at 19k. New motor went in at 13k. Then I noticed oil issues at around 30k and had another motor put in. That is when I found out that it had been replaced once prior already. Was pissed since I took the car to the same dealership to be inspected and they said there had been nothing major wrong with it and was good to buy.

Long story short, my third motor is consuming oil. But at this point I am pretty sure it is just how hard I drive the car. Always downshift coming to a stop, sometimes quite high in the revs a times, no SRM, just heel-toe. I just monitor the oil. Seems that every 1500 miles it needs pretty much a quart.

My dealers service managers has been a master tech for some 20 odd years. Said the same issues was happening on the 350z. But he noticed it was only on the guys with manual transmissons that where having the problem, so he started documenting it. He stated everyone that had the oil issue also almost always downshifted and dorve the car somewhat hard at times to quite often (like me). He came to the conclusion that due to the downshift it was creating a negative vacuum and was creating excessive blow-by.

But again this was all theory.

Another good friend of mine that works on drag motors thinks that since this motor is such a high reving motor that it is squeezing through the oil rings in the cylinder when the motor is under extreme load in the upper rpms ranges. His drag motors consume almost whole quart in a single pass.

So my suggestion is to take the new short block, do the proper break in, then drive it just how you did before (what I did). Still consuming oil after another 8-10k, then it is just how hard you drive the car, and will have to pay attention to the oil level and all the maintenance on the vehicle that much more.
Japanjay is offline   Reply With Quote