View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eagle
Track Member

Drives: 2011 370z Red 6MT
Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemaaZ View Post
Your first challenge is to remove the sport spoiler (if you have not already) without breaking it. Most people broke theirs. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!
Sadly, he's right. I broke my sport spoiler also. But install of the wing is pretty straightforward.

Removing the sport spoiler is hard enough that even a well seasoned body shop can end up breaking it. First you need to remove the plastic hatch paneling, easy.
Once that's done, from underneath the hatch you will find 4 screws that can be removed to unsecure it, the tough part about this is the small space you have to work in. Now you have lots of double sided tape to saw through between the base of the spoiler and the body, it's recommended that you use fishing line for this...anything less than a 60 lb. line will break very easily.

This is not without it's challenges either, you cant just saw through the tape...you have to saw until you hit a screw, peg or clip that is obstructing you from moving forward and once that happens, you have to figure out a way around the obstruction (was not always possible for me).

This is where it gets tricky...you assume that because you can't see anything holding the spoiler down underneath the far edges that you can simply start to lift to try and pry it off. Bad assumption, this will eventually lead you to the point where you will bend the plastic and it will break suddenly and in a most unceremenious manner, usually this happens to the drivers side, passenger side edges or both. F bombs will be dropped and you will be kicking yourself for letting this happen. The reason this happens is again because there are at least two large screws holding the spoiler down towards the middle and a few clips as well that cannot be accessed

So this is where I say, if you don't care to keep or sell your sport spoiler...don't worry bout it and do what's necessary to get it off.

If you want to keep it intact, I don't have any good answers for you other than perhaps trying to cut through the double sided tape at the front of spoiler and the back as much as possible. Perhaps applyng some GooGone will also help loosen up the adhesive.

Hopefully someone who's successfully removed their sport spoiler can chime in. Good luck

Last edited by Eagle; 09-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote