View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #41 (permalink)
b15
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 4drz
b15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
They share the same FM platform, but they're very different. There is nothing stopping them from having a single lower profile for the Altima and the Maxima. It's a safety issue when it comes to getting the highest ratings they can. Most crash test involve collision against SUV's. They must also deal with heights of the headlights, comfort, vehicle entry and a hundred other things the please a broad audience. Their target demo isn't the tuner crowd. People love to complain and I guarantee a ton will complain about the car scraping on their driveways. It's better they do it this way. If they do a Nismo version, it's probable that they'll drop it since it's a taget demo. If they eliminated the gap by simply changing the panel, you still end up with a car that's way off the ground.

Also, a properly designed/tuned suspension doesn't always mean it has to be an inch off the ground.
No offense but it doesnt really sound like you know what you're talking about.

First, the only Nissan branded car to currently use the FM (front midship = RWD) platform is the Z. It is also used by the Infiniti G/M/FX. The Altima/Maxima/Murano trio use the D-platform (which is for FWD vehicles) and no they are not that different at all from a mechanical/chassis view. The Altima/Maxima actually share many of the same suspension components.

Second, I never said a properly tuned suspension is an inch off the ground. I said its more then a set of springs, a solution that you suggested above to rectify wheel gap.

Third, all this talk about why they must have wheel gap to meet safety....If that's the case I guess all the BMWs, Audis, even the New Mazda 6, Honda Accord and Kia Optima that are similar in size yet have less wheel gap must not meet standards. Yes cars have to be a certain height, but you can still meet standards and have a car that's visually appealing, it just takes a little R&D.

Last edited by b15; 09-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.