Thread: Road Noise
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #82 (permalink)
cwhawk
Base Member

Drives: 12 370Z Touring A7
cwhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Road Noise

Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2012 370Z Touring. The car is white with black interior and the 7 speed automatic. It had less than 12,000 miles. I researched the Z cars before buying and was aware there have been some complaints about excessive road/cabin noise. My vehicle was relatively quiet, but less noise would have made it more enjoyable.

I read many posts that discussed sound dampener such as Dynamat, Fat Mat, etc. being placed in the hatch. I got a quote for $500 from a audio dealer. Being retired, I have time on my hands and am above average with DIY projects.

I purchased a 36 sq ft kit of Stinger Road Kill for $95 from Amazon. (A local dealer wanted $200 for the exact kit.) I also got free shipping. It took about 3 1/2 hours to remove the trim from the hatch area and install the Stinger. I placed it everywhere there was bare metal and probably have 85% coverage in the hatch area. A test drive revealed a little less noise. It was worth my time and $95, but I would have been disappointed if I had paid $500 for the difference. I used about 5 sheets of the 9 sheets in the kit, so 4 sheets remained.

Today, I paid a company to install the Stinger Roadkill Sound Dampener inside both doors. They charged $60 labor and used 3 sheets of my product. As I said earlier, the noise was not bad originally, but I wanted it a little less. Covering the doors made a SIGNIFICANT difference in the road noise. The vehicle is more pleasurable to drive and the total of 8 sheets (32 sq ft) probably only added 25 lbs to the vehicle.

Others may agree or disagree, it makes no difference. The only thing that matters is I am satisfied with the cost and the results. If this helps others, good.
cwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote