View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
IDZRVIT
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 CTS-V, '76 Vette
IDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Little review...written 11/20/11...$45 to $350 shipped!!! Anyone who buys this bend over...

This stuff has been around for a long time, but solid information is hard to find. I want to post this information for others that would like a simple, inexpensive and safe way to fix crap quality gas.

All testing done on a 2011 WRX, Cobb SF intake and Accessport OTS Stage one map installed.

When I first got my AP I was using the ACN map and getting light knock with my local Chevron and Shell 91 in SoCal. Nothing extreme that a little FKL didn't adjust for, but much power lost compared to the OTS 93 (maybe 10hp and 20tq according to Cobb dynos)

In attempt at getting my tank full of some quality gas... I went with 3.5 gallons of VP100 and the rest 91. Car ran good with the 93map but still some light knock. A little more VP100 would have maybe fixed it, but to the tune of an extra $30+ per tank its rediculous for daily driving. Up next was Torco...

I scoured the internet for all info and testimonials, also visited the Torco manufacturer, and bought a couple gallons of it for me and two WRX owning friends to test out. According to Torco you need only 12oz to turn 15gal of 91 into 93. I was skeptical at first and added 16oz to a solid 15gal of Chevron 91. My car takes 15gal at fillup normally because I commute ALOT and run it down a bit into the E.

Results were great! No knock anywhere in many logging sessions. No butt dyno power slumps at any RPM. Same deal on my friends cars. I then stepped down to only 12oz for the next fillup and same perfect results. I even did some 4th and 5th gear WOT bog sessions to make extra sure. I am thinking I'll even try a little less until knock shows up, so I can use the smallest amount or Torco possible.

Torco uses a mixture of Anti-Knock additives to create the same effect of higher octane fuel. The main ingredient is MMT, which is very great at suppressing knock but doesn't burn off completely and can leave residue in your engine and exhaust. This has been shown in engine teardowns where people had been using very high concentrations of Torco to attempt to get gas similar to 105+ octane. Although there was a dusty orange coating from it, it didn't affect performance or damage the engine. I personally wouldnt want this buildup regardless, so I'm not planning on adding 64oz to my tank anytime soon! I also have no use for anything higher than 93 octane at the moment.

So for anyone wanting 93 octane the cheap and easy way, I can recommend Torco. Remember to add only 12oz (a soda can worth) to a full tank of gas to avoid buildup from having more MMT in the cylinders than the combustion process can completely burn off.

Torco costs $45 for 5 tanks of gas worth at retail, and if u have a resell license it drops down to $34. It comes in metal cans, so getting a 12oz fuel system cleaner bottle with a long neck is ideal. It will pre-measure for you and make it super quick to pull out of the trunk and dump in the tank at the gas station. Try not to spill it on your car or skin, or breath the fumes as its highly toxic.
Hmmm, creating the same effect. That doesn't read "boosts octane". Btw, this must be true because I read it in the internet!
IDZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote