View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
MikeUCFL
Base Member

Drives: '12 370Z Mag Blk 6MT
MikeUCFL is on a distinguished road
Default Oh no not another fuel gauge issue!

So I know there are few issues with the fuel gauge, but I haven't read anything similar to what has been going on with mine. I've had the car for about 17 months now, and maybe 3-4 months ago I started to notice that my car was reporting it was empty way too early. After monitoring my fuel gauge, once I hit ~230 miles on a tank (averaging 18mpg) I would be at 1/4 of a tank. Within 5-10 miles of driving my fuel gauge would drop to zero and say ---- miles left to go. Then when I would fill up, I'd only fill 13-14 gallons.. so I knew there was fuel still left in the tank. I have even driven ~60 miles with it saying empty with no issues (other than it yelling at me that it's empty).

So last weekend I took my car to Nissan and had them look at it, and they ordered me two fuel sending units. They arrived in a few days, and took my car last night to be dropped off so they could work on it early this morning. I left the engine running while I was getting things out of my car, and there it was again! Went from 1/4 tank to empty while parked! Anyways, I left the car with them and got a call a few hours ago saying my car was ready. When I got in my car I noticed the fuel gauge read ---- with 0 dots on the meter, but I figured I probably had to fill up to full to have it reset (based on what I've read with fuel starvation). Went to the nearest gas station, filled up to full which was 14 gallons... and... crap... still reading ---- with 0 dots on the meter. I called them up and they're having me drop my car off again on Tuesday.

Not really mad at the dealership, they're trying to figure it out, but I'm curious if anyone has ran into this.. or knows what the issue might be?

Last edited by MikeUCFL; 09-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
MikeUCFL is offline   Reply With Quote