View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
luigi90210
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Classified
luigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfourteen View Post
one of the biggest concerns with the stillen kit is the placement of the MAF. the primary MAF also functions as the intake air temp sensor. the ecu uses IAT's (along with a few other sensors) to adjust timing on the fly, hotter air and the car pulls timing. with every other forced induction kit, the MAF's are placed after the intercooler, which means the ecu gets a true IAT reading and can adjust accordingly. with the stillen kit, the ecu is basically reading ambient air temp as IAT since the maf's are in the bumper before the blower. so during hot summer months when the heat exchanger gets heat soaked and the intake temps are increasing, your ecu is still reading whatever the temp is in the bumper, not the true temp of the air entering the engine.
Heatsoak?

I have talked extensively with stillen kit owners and stillen themselves about this issue and unless you're dynoing your car back to back to back or sitting in traffic(and when you start moving, the intercooler cools down), you wont experience heatsoak.

Any proof of heatsoak outside of those conditions? I can tell you that my intercooler on my eclipse experiences heatsoak in similar conditions and that is an air to air intercooler.

And while I do agree that MAF placement could be better, there is a reason as to why stillen placed the sensors there when designing the kit, and if it were a problem, it wouldnt have been designed that way.
luigi90210 is offline   Reply With Quote