View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
IDZRVIT
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 CTS-V, '76 Vette
IDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
It's unclear that going from 91 to a higher octane will convince the ECU to yield more spark advance -- thus without planning to tune for higher octane levels, I wouldn't worry about it.

Lower octanes, however, run the risk of knock under load, and thus are not recommended.

Also, in what few empirical tests I've ever found, even good octane boosters raise octane by no more than a .5 to 1.5 points. There's a thread on here somewhere with a link...

Finally, depending on the additives, it may wreak havoc on the fuel sender. I say, pass.

Read up on octane and its relationship to engine tuning independently -- good stuff to know about.
I don't recall the source but he was a petroleum engineer who quite bluntly stated octane boosters don't work. He said becuause of the chemical composition of gas you cannot boost octane to any significant degree to make it worthwhile as Jordo mentioned. Save your money and buy VP racing fuel. Yes, its expensive because it really is high octane gas. You wanna play, you gotta pay!
IDZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote