View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
luigi90210
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Classified
luigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelidat View Post
So I have been reading on the supercharger threads and there seems to be a lot of bashing of the Stillen kit. I have not read any details, though, as to what the problems are with the Stillen kit. I've read about some really lame gains with the box tune, but that seems to be fixed with a proper tune. If anyone can tell me issues members have been having with the Stillen kit or direct em to some threads that explain the problems, that would be great. I am leaning towards a GTM stage 1.5 kit is I do it, but would like to do my full research since the Stillen one is CARB approved.

Thanks
see there is no problem with their kit, most of the people who bought their kit live above sea level and their canned tune doesnt compensate for it

if you do not live at or around sea level, you wont make their advertised power, just like you wont make nissan's advertised power of 332hp

their air to water intercooler is perfectly fine as long as you are not doing dyno run after dyno run because a fan cannot cool the intercooler down fast enough unlike driving and if you need a bigger heat exchanger, you can buy one legally since intercoolers are not regulated by CARB(as said on their website) so in theory you could take the car to an intercooler shop and have them install an air to air intercooler legally without losing exemption

if you want to go supercharger, get the stillen(since you live in california) and modify it with stillen and vortech parts(so stillen 9lbs pulley, vortech impeller, ect.), will it void the carb exemption, but no one can or will check that your pulley size, your impeller, ect. and see if it is to spec and ALWAYS get a custom tune for their supercharger, their canned tune is good if you want longevity out of their kit stock(so no modifying the kit) but if you want to actually make good numbers, get a custom tune, i dont know a single person with a stillen supercharger(for the 350zs/G35s and 370zs/G37s) without a custom tune

some people will tell you to register your car in an area with no smog and that will only work for so long, even no smog areas have to conform to CARB standards, regardless if there are smog checks in your area or not

refs can not legally take apart your supercharger without either your permission or a court order so dont worry about modifying the kit and losing exemption, unless you were really doing something stupid(like street racing), you'll be fine

and if you are gonna go the illegal route, you might as well go all the way and get a twin turbo kit

honestly all the hate on stillen is the same on all Z forums, just remember to take everything you read here with a grain of salt(including my post)

Last edited by luigi90210; 09-21-2013 at 12:28 AM.
luigi90210 is offline   Reply With Quote