View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
carfr3ak
Base Member

Drives: Nissan SUV
carfr3ak is on a distinguished road
Default Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act + Dealer "Assurances"

I created this thread to inform our members on this forum who are misinformed on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and dealer "assurances"

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, while a good thing, does not protect you how you would like to be.

Example: Let's say your engine blew, and you bring it in for warranty. They find out you installed an aftermarket oil cooler. They dealer immediately points that the oil cooler is not a Nissan-approved unit, and was the cause of engine failure. You know that's not the reason because of xxx. The dealer says it is, and you cite the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. They still stand by their claim. Guess what? Now You, not the dealer, has to spend time and possibly money to disprove their allegations.

I've seen once to many times where forum members have told the OP or another forum member to not worry, since they are protected by the MMW Act. That's not right, and misleading people to believe they have nothing to worry about and that they are protected.

Second thing I want to touch on is about dealer assurances. You want to install your oil cooler, but want the dealer to do it. You ask the dealer if they will cover you if anything goes wrong with it, and they say that they will. Guess what? If you don't have anything in writing, all they have to say, when you bring it in for some warranty work and how they would cover it, is "What? Don't know what you're talking about."

Whatever the dealer tells you, how they will cover this and that, get it in writing. More times than not, they will not sign anything for you once you ask them for such things.

I welcome other forum members to add to this thread, and that this will be stickied so that members aren't so blind to the fact that they are Not protected in the way they think they are protected.

Last edited by carfr3ak; 10-23-2009 at 12:56 AM.
carfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote