View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
hyunsoo1803
Track Member

Drives: 370z
hyunsoo1803 is on a distinguished road
Default Supercharger Starting/Idle problem

Well, flame suit on first...

Yes Stillen kit is hated by people in here due to their design flaws and maxed out power etc...

Well I got the kit and I've been happy with it... sort of

Trying to improve the Stillen kit, I did the followings

1. Custom water to air intercooler (Thanks to ANMVQ for the part info)
- Due to Stillen's heat exchanger's size being too small

2. Custom tune
- Stillen tune was running wayyyy too rich and was not friendly to my mods (Greddy Ti-C with silencer, Berk HFC)

3. CSF Radiator
- Wasn't done to improve the Stillen kit but I put it here just so that everyone knows that it's there.

Now here is the problem

When starting the car cold, it has no problem starting. Starts strong

However when warm, 3-4 times out of 10 times, it would do something like this. (Skip to 00:35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoXsfb-9SXE
The start sounds weak and sometimes the car struggles to start the motor. It also cranks a bit more than usual sometimes. When it stalls the Rev sweep does not happen

Now I got the habit of giving a little gas while starting the car just to make sure it doesn't stall on me

It could be the tune, but i've been there 2-3 times to check on my starting issue and after they make small adjustments it starts fine when I'm there.

Now the idling issue.

With a little research, most of the SC kits suffer a small idling problem even with a custom tune. It looks something like this. (Skip to 00:39)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7o4pirw9s
Now mine used to do that these days and I stopped caring since the RPM would just bounce up itself. It was driving me nuts for the first few weeks. However last night, when I was stopped at a redlight, it stalled. I then realized my car stalled and tried to start my car right away. It took quite an effort for the motor to start my car and I had to give gas to properly start my car

Few theories on top of my friends after having a little chat with buddies. We were looking for a solution to 2 problems "starting/idling"

1. Spark plugs?
- Maybe 1 step colder might help the car starting problem...
- GTM Motorsports*::*IGNITION SYSTEM*::*NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - VQ One Step Colder

2. Tune?
- Custom tune may take several adjustments to make it right.
- Oh btw, my A/F ratio is usually at 14.4 at idle. Can anyone with stillen kit chime in?

3. Leak?
- I doubt it is... but who knows

4. AC?
- I believe AC does not disturb anything.... but I did a little testing driving with AC on and AC off. When AC off, the idle is a little more gentle and smoother than AC on. When my car stalled, I had my AC on.

Any inputs guys? I would really appreciate any help