View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elan
Track Member

Drives: Airplanes
Elan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond reputeElan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about NJ, but where I live the DMV doesn't handle this stuff. That's the tag office (same slow bureaucracy). You have to do emissions, make sure your car is registered on your insurance policy, pay your state taxes/fees, then yes, if you don't want a vanity plate, you will get a plate that day. If you want a vanity plate, they will give you another temp until it's ready.

I went in after doing emissions but had some insurance problems. USAA insures a new car for 30 days until you get it officially registered. I was well within the 30 days, but the tag office said the car must be registered officially on the policy first. So we called USAA right there and they faxed proof of insurance. I paid the fees and was given a temp tag (vanity plate). Next time don't wait until last minute because there could be problems and your car will no longer be legal to drive. Though this didn't stop me when I bought my car in Alabama and put a friends dealer plate on it. The law ain't getting in the way of my Z and I sure as hell ain't gettin it shipped!
2009 370Z NISMO #477 | AAM Competition Short Tails | AAM Competition HFCs | K&N Typhoon CAI | Kenwood DPX300U | Rockford Fosgate PRIME R300-4 | Rockford Fosgate Punch P165 | Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-12 | Polk Audio db1001 | 15% Tints | GTR Start Button |
Elan is offline   Reply With Quote