View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
Just spoke to TireRack and dealer. The new TPMS needs to be calibrated by the Nissan Dealer after they are put on since the car won't recognize them as is. The fee that dealer will charge is half hour labor which is $52/50 for all four rims. BUT when it's time to put the summer wheels backs on (19" rays), I have to bring the car BACK to the dealer again to get those calibrated to car. Which means, every time you put new rims on (once summer, once winter), you have to recalibrate TPMS. Hope this helps you.
For this reason alone, I decided to dump the TPMS sensors on my new setup. When you also account for the butt-reaming price of $80/sensor, leaving them off was a no-brainer for me. Why the car is too stupid to just learn 8 sensor codes is beyond me. The light will go off when I put the summer tires/rims back on, so it's no big deal.

As for this whole TPMS issue...frankly I think it's a formality that only benefits house-wives who wouldn't notice a flat tire if it hit them in the face. If the 370Z still showed each tire's pressure individually, I would have bought the sensors. But for a system to tell me that my tire pressure is >25% below the ideal pressure and to NOT say which tire it is...well that's just a stupid system. I check my tires frequently enough to find a problem anyway. Hell, I've driven 13 years without a TPMS system. The times I had a flat, I knew I had a flat.

G35Guy84, I took the tires back myself to save the return shipping cost since South Bend is only 90 miles from me. I suppose you could always just take them to a local UPS Store and have them quote it for you. Knowing what you paid to have them delivered, I bet you could get the same deal. Just make sure you tell them you're shipping to a company/business...it's always cheaper.