View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #84 (permalink)
bmarcinczyk14
Track Member

Drives: 2010 370z 6spd Sport
bmarcinczyk14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulZ370 View Post
In fashioning a DIY 'blocking plate' for my oil cooler (19 row by the way) due to the loooong warm up times during winter times, I did the following. Wanting a lightweight but durable blocking plate, I went to Home Depot and bought an aluminum 'For Sale' sign , Flat Black (matte) spray paint can and a roll of industrial strength double stick tape (Gummy kind with a red peel-off covering). I measured the outside width of the cooler and the height to which the top 3 - 4 rows of the cooler would still be exposed, then cut the sign accordingly. I spray painted it per the directions on the can (about 3 layers) and secured it to the cooler with the double stick tape. Being that the tape is grey in cooler and would show from the front of the car, I further taped it up with some black electrical tape I happened to have handy. The result? faster warm up times (about 6-7 miles / 5 minutes) in 40ish degree weather up to 180°F. I don't drive her the short distance to work if temps are below 40°F. Here's a pic of what the DIY blocking plate looks like - it's on the Driver's side and it is hard to see... (exactly what I wanted):Attachment 75961
Do you have a thermostatic sandwich plate also?