View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #83 (permalink)
PaulZ370
Track Member

Drives: 011 370 BSM/T/SP/6MT
PaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud of
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
The Z1 plate is rated at 169, so having it dip below 180 degrees on the hwy doesn't cause me to question its functionality, what is causing me to question it is the long oil warm up times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
I think you're basically at the point where you need to fashion some type of cover for colder months, or take the cooler off.
In fashioning a DIY 'blocking plate' for my oil cooler (19 row by the way) due to the loooong warm up times during winter times, I did the following. Wanting a lightweight but durable blocking plate, I went to Home Depot and bought an aluminum 'For Sale' sign , Flat Black (matte) spray paint can and a roll of industrial strength double stick tape (Gummy kind with a red peel-off covering). I measured the outside width of the cooler and the height to which the top 3 - 4 rows of the cooler would still be exposed, then cut the sign accordingly. I spray painted it per the directions on the can (about 3 layers) and secured it to the cooler with the double stick tape. Being that the tape is grey in cooler and would show from the front of the car, I further taped it up with some black electrical tape I happened to have handy. The result? faster warm up times (about 6-7 miles / 5 minutes) in 40ish degree weather up to 180°F. I don't drive her the short distance to work if temps are below 40°F. Here's a pic of what the DIY blocking plate looks like - it's on the Driver's side and it is hard to see... (exactly what I wanted):Capture.JPG

BD2ZBN :: 2011 BSM/TRG/SP/6MT/Stillen Oil Cooler/K&N CAI/Michelin PSS/Brake Light/EIBACH Sway Bars/FI Res. HFC+18" Res. CBE/Morimoto XB LED/DRLs/10mm Spacers
PaulZ370 is offline   Reply With Quote