View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
So the vast majority of cars dont even have oil temp gauges, if going high revs in a car below 180 degrees oil temp is so detrimental to a engine, woulnt you think more cars would have oil temp gauges? Most people romp on their cars w/o having a clue what their oil temp is simply because they dont have gauges. I've always based when i should start beating on the car by its water temp, the z is the first car ive had with a oil temp gauge, and im pretty sure the main reason they put one in it is because they decided to skimp on a oil cooler.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Oil temp gauge is not really needed for a DD. Other params will usually be out of whack if the oil temp is high. It is nice to have in a sports car where the driver is at least mildly interested in keeping everything running as it should. I haven't seen many track cars w/o it.

The oil temp is only used as an indirect indicator that the engine block and bearings are up to normal operating temp. It is a MUCH better indicator than water temp but not perfect.

You are not going to do that much damage if you romp on it hard at 140 or so, but it will take some life off the engine. But then, WOT at normal temp will shave a bit off, too. If you torque the engine much below that temp, bearing clearances may not be correct and the oil may be too thin. (Edit: "thin" should be "thick") If you do it with a cold engine, you run the risk (small nowadays) of bearing damage.

Yes, you can push the engine before it gets up to temp, but I advise that you only do that when necessary. Run the hell out of it but don't abuse it.

Last edited by SouthArk370Z; 08-28-2013 at 11:09 PM.
SouthArk370Z is offline   Reply With Quote