View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #89 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280z/300zx View Post
I don't have a problem with a 2.5 turbo 4. The problem I have is that in order to make it powerful enough for the Z name it will come strung out from the factory leaving little to be done with basic bolt-on's. In order to get more power owners will have to change out the turbo and all components. The great thing about turbos is that basic mods will yield good results, but if the engine is already maxed out there won't be much to gain. A 330hp 2.5 won't leave a lot of room on the table. I'd honestly rather than go to something like a 3.0 V6 twin turbo like the old Z32. With todays technology a small V6 twin turbo will not only make good power but it will still get good gas mileage. No need to drop to a 4 cylinder. Not to mention I don't want to have to rev the hell out of the car every time I go up a hill or want to pass someone. Loved my old 06 WRX but it just didn't have that low rpm power. Torque is something the current Z is already missing, going to a turbo 4 won't help matters.
A 330 hp turbo 4 would be too strung out from the factory? Better tell those Evo guys running 400whp on the stock motor with a turbo swap. A turbo swap isn't a big deal. Certainly nothing to worry about assuming the motor is stout enough, you get the right supporting mods and a good tune.

There's no way to say that the motor is maxed out until some tuners get ahold of one and turn up the boost. It could be a beast of a motor that can take a lot of boost and punishment. It could be one of those that self destructs at factory power levels. We won't know until that first group of buyers blow theirs up.

I'm not sure what you did to your WRX, but my 04 STI had 380 ft/lbs of torque at 3400 rpm. It's not a Chevy 350, but that's still a lot of torque. Between that much torque under 4k rpm and the fact that is spooled up quick, you didn't really have to rev it much to pass someone.

I want the Z to remain a V6, but a turbo 4 would be fine too if the 2900 lb curb weight happened. Given how poorly the Z sells, I seriously doubt they're going to go too far from an engine that's shared across platforms. They're not going to reinvent the wheel for a car that's been selling <10k units annually. My guess is another revision of the VQ, maybe with DI, and a lighter chassis. To be honest, I'm kinda shocked we're getting a Z35 given how badly the Z34 has sold.