View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #268 (permalink)
Zensation
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 93 rx7
Zensation is a jewel in the roughZensation is a jewel in the roughZensation is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
Ah, definitive proof. I plan on changing mine myself also when/if it fails. Problem is no one knows when! I am debating just going and buying MC and CSC and fluid and storing them in my garage just-in-case.

May I ask how you got your car up in the air? Lift or Jack Stands or what? Your method? I know it's been discussed several times before but everyone has valid input as to how they solved the problem i.e., lifting the car, methods, etc.

Thanks!
Yes I put the car on jack stands I am going to write a comprehensive diy when i finish the project (when the new competition clutch and flywheel come in with the hd csc) but basically where im at now:

1. jack the car up front and rear on jack stands.
2. I have the hks exhaust and the resonators on the mid pipe have a cross member welding them together. I had to remove those mid pipes but not the h pipe or the muffler section so that was nice.
3. undo the 4 bolts connecting the drive shaft to the rear diff. it just pulls out of the transmission.
4. Remove shifter assembly from inside the car. (i did this as step one before i jacked up the car). Use one of the many diy's to do this. its pretty easy.
5. remove all the mounts for the main wiring harness at various points along the transmission. remove all the plugs from their sockets as well.
6. at this point the transmission is in a somewhat free state. the next step is to remove the bottom plate under the engine to gain access to the back of the bell housing as the bottom tranny bolts thread in from the engine side.
7. remove all bell housing bolts. they are all pretty easy to get to excpt the top 2. I couldnt even see the top 2 i however managed to use a frankentool as follows(17 mm socket a 6 inch extension then a universal joint connected to a 18" extension into the socke wrench) you can reach up and feel the 2 bolts at the top of the bell housing so just fish the tool up and onto the bolt. this sounds way more complex than it was the bolts arent torqued down super tight as their purpose is mainly to keep the tranny from walking along the spline.
8. Once this is done get some sort of jack positioned somewhere on the tranny and apply a slight bit of pressure up not too much remember it aint going anywhere. Undo the 2 bolts at the back of the tranny holding th cross member black tranny mount to the car.
9. slide the tranny back and out. Have 2 people cuz that B*&%# is heavy!
10 the csc is right there in front of your eyes inside the tanny bell housing behind the throw out bearing. remove set on fire and mold the plastic into something that shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the functional part of a hydraulic system. If you got that far i think youll be good....

this is my first time doing anything this 'serious' with a car and im finding it rather easy. If I can do it so can you. Just took me like 4 hours to get it out of the car.*****also do yourself a favor and drain the tranny fluid and dont smell up your garage like i did. its free to come out the drive shaft opening at the back. GL
Zensation is offline   Reply With Quote