View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
XiP
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: ↑ ↓
XiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond reputeXiP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Why were you learning to ride a bike with a wall in front of you? Stalling is going to happen to pretty much anyone. You get better with practice.

I'm not suggesting that she take the MT to the streets without any experience. She will need a lot of practice in a closed environment, like an big empty parking lot. Can't remember who, but the best advice I saw someone on the forum post in regards to MT practice was find a row in an empty parking lot with the spaces across from each other and pull into a space. Reverse into the space behind you across the row and then pull forward back into the same spot you were in previously. Repeat.

I agree that the skill of driving a manual is almost completely unnecessary in this day and age. However, I think that the ability to drive a manual is a good thing. A MT will help focus attention to the road and limit the opportunities to use a cell phone while driving. If your daughter can pick up these good habits at a young age, it is better for her as well as everyone else on the road. I'm not saying you can't learn these in an AT, but I think the MT provides a slight different perspective that would be beneficial.
I was learning in a parking lot, there was a building on one end and I was going towards it and my brain went herp derp trying to stop and I ended up jumping off