View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiP View Post
well i thought it would be easier/safer for her to learn
i've never drove a manual car before but i tried learning on a bike and ended up riding myself into a wall and dropping the bike and stalling a lot because i forget the clutch
Why were you learning to ride a bike with a wall in front of you? Stalling is going to happen to pretty much anyone. You get better with practice.

I'm not suggesting that she take the MT to the streets without any experience. She will need a lot of practice in a closed environment, like an big empty parking lot. Can't remember who, but the best advice I saw someone on the forum post in regards to MT practice was find a row in an empty parking lot with the spaces across from each other and pull into a space. Reverse into the space behind you across the row and then pull forward back into the same spot you were in previously. Repeat ad nauseum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX52Z View Post
She's so young and ther'll be plenty of time to learn manual. That she needs to learn manual shifting right now is a bit irrelevant and misguided in my humble opinion.

The important things she needs to learn now is defensive driving and putting the phone down. It's not about how good a driver she is, it's about learning how to deal with crappy drivers, those who don't follow the rules and driving situations not covered in the driver's manual.

The other epidemic (that wasn't around when I was her age, neither were cell phones nor Internet) is talking and texting on the phone. Texting while driving should be a topic as serious as drinking and driving except texting is more dangerous.

By the way, there are a myriad of cell phone blockers and real-time GPS devices that can be installed in a youngster's car during this probationary.
I agree that the skill of driving a manual is almost completely unnecessary in this day and age. However, I think that the ability to drive a manual is a good thing. A MT will help focus attention to the road and limit the opportunities to use a cell phone while driving. If your daughter can pick up these good habits at a young age, it is better for her as well as everyone else on the road. I'm not saying you can't learn these in an AT, but I think the MT provides a slightly different perspective that would be beneficial.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 08-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote