View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

I think this can go either way, but if your daughter wants an auto and will hold it against you if you get her something she dislikes, is it worth the trouble?

I think if you can, try to teach her manual anyway early on, and if she is ok with getting a manual now, it would be cool. It's far better to learn young when you have parents right nearby who can provide assistance than to do it at 30 years old when you're on your own and your career can't survive breaking a car or being timid with manual later. And it later sucks when a) your friend needs help and has a manual so you can't help them, b) fall in love with a car that is manual (z, sportscar, jeep...), c) prepared for other vehicles like a bike or anything else that is manual, d) can drive those cars if you need to for whatever reason (favors for the boss/clients, test drive something, designated driver.

Will she get into an accident? It's possible, if she rolls into someone, stalls and the person behind hits her, etc. I doubt she would get into an accident based on proper manual driving, not any more so than an auto.

(Disclaimer: I've never driven manual.)
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote