View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Verbal21
Base Member

Drives: '12 Solid Red
Verbal21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
I got registered as a guest for the Austin event at COTA and thought I wasn't going to be able to drive my own Z. However, a participant in my group did not show, and they let me drive my Z on the track. There were a total of 12 laps in 4 sessions in your own car in the afternoon at full speed (there is some track time in the morning but it's slower and more designed for the instructors to gauge your skill level). I spent the first three laps getting my car inspected and ready for the track (no decals tho ). I did the next three laps and reached about 260F oil temps as we were about to pit; I was cooled to around 210 before we started the next session. After 2-1/2 laps I hit ~285 oil temps - luckily we were just starting the last 1/2 lap cool down when I was contemplating radioing to the instructor that I needed to back off. I then let the car continue to cool down in pit lane while the fourth session was run (great photo op). However, immediately following that, I got to drive a stock 2013 370Z Nismo and a 2013 GT-R Track Edition

Note that I have a 2011 without an oil cooler, and I was fully aware this would limit any track time. While I was really, really hoping, I wasn't seriously expecting to get on the track with my own Z, so what I got was an amazing surprise. I installed EBC slotted front rotors and Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and flushed the stock brake fluid with ATE Super Blue less than a week before the event. I've run Mobil 1 5W-30 oil for most of the life of the car, and at the time of the event, the clutch fluid and power steering fluid were stock, and the transmission and diff fluids were Redline. I should mention that I had also recently tuned the car with EcuTek software (in May), and I was running Nitto Invo tires with a good amount of tread. The car had over 35K miles on it, and I was impressed at how well it performed overall. Even when it was pulling timing due to the heat, it was still driving hard and a hell of a lot of fun. Hopefully, you guys get some cooler weather in Oct in FL than we had in TX in June
Excellent advice. I'm taking my 2011 to the track on Wed for the first time so what oil temp do I have to watch out for? 280+? And if it does go into limp mode, I just let it cool down and it'll be fine?
Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote