View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arrvaxx
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th F.I. Twin Turbo
Arrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond reputeArrvaxx has a reputation beyond repute

Title: Three hours at the dealer, zero hours on the floor.

People seem to enjoy the story of my first Z purchase so figured I would start there…trying to keep it short.

My first Nissan was a 2005 Altima SE-R and, aside from my 2007 Victory Vegas Jackpot Arlen Ness Edition motorcycle, they are all I have purchased since (2005 Altima SE-R, 2006 Quest, 2013 Sentra, 2010 370Z 40th). My ex has the Quest but I still have the rest.

My first Z memory was in the early ‘70s. A friend of my dad’s had a yellow 240Z. I never complained about being stuffed in to the ‘back’ for spirited treks through the twists and turns of rural Georgia. As a teenager in the ‘80s I spent a lot of time putting up posters of super cars so the memories of the 240Z fun started to fade.

That all changed in 2005 when I started seeing the new restyled 2005 Altima on the road. At the time I didn’t know about the SE-R but when I walked in to the dealership I knew I was not leaving without one. The only thing to grab my attention away was the 350Z next to it. Kids…the Z would have to wait.

For years we returned to the dealership for new cars and service and the joke was always ‘dad had to see if they had a Z on the floor’. I drove my ex crazy with my playful suggestions that it was time to buy one. Maybe that is why she’s an ex?

Fast forward to July ’13; I’m newly divorced and my son is turning 17 and needs his first car.

As we were pulling in to the lot we were joking that I was planning on doing all the paperwork from the seat of whatever Z they had on the floor. I then said, “I’d be funny if we came for one car and went home with two.” Haha…chuckle chuckle like I could afford a Z.

They didn’t have any Zs on the floor and as we were working the paperwork for my son’s Sentra he and I were joking about how miserable I was not having a Z to ogle. The sales guy chuckled and quite casually mentioned that they had gotten a 2010 370Z in three hours ago and that it was in detail. Said it was almost flawless. More joking than anything I pushed him for details. At some point the sales guy smelt blood in the water, joking or not, and called the person that took the car in.

I heard one side of the conversation they had over the phone, “2010, right. 40th Edition, ok.” Now, I had vague recollections of having seen the 40th color and started wondering if my joking was going to get me ‘in to trouble’. “6 speed manual.” Oh crap! See, my ex couldn’t drive a stick so I had sadly been forced to get an automatic SE-R. “15,000 miles.” That’s it? Oh no. He hung up and I asked THE one question that I figured would save me, “Yeah and how much?” “$28,000”, he said. Yup…I was in trouble.

We still had paperwork to finish on the Sentra so I tried to focus us on that. Tried. We were waiting for the finance guy so I brought up pictures of the 40th on my tablet to refresh my memory. Yup, she was gorgeous, wow. I then resolved to return in the morning once it was back from detail. A few minutes later I stopped trying to fight it and realized just how much I wanted that car and how disappointed I would be if someone else got to it before me. I always carry one check with me and I used it to provide a downpayment to hold it for ME.

The plan was to return the next morning once it was out of detail to confirm it was a flawless as they said it was.

I was planning to be at the dealer at 8:30am but had some errands that delayed me. I guess the sales guy, check in hand or not, wasn’t entirely sure if I was serious. Not surprised considering how my son and I were joking and after the night before I had just bought a Sentra. He called me at 9:30, “Are you still coming in to look at the car?” I told him that I was running late and would be there in 15 minutes. “Good, there is a shop mechanic that wants it and is kicking himself for not putting money down before it went to detail.” I felt for THAT guy because I had imagined just that happening to ME the night before.

I arrived at the dealership and she was right out front. I sat down and began the paperwork. It was kind of strange. I felt like people were watching us and the sales guy was called away a few times at first. He came back to tell me that in addition to the mechanic wanting to see if I was going to buy the car there was another guy that had seen it outside when he was dropping off his car for service that was ready to write the check. An hour later there would be another that saw it and asked if it was available. In Minnesota Zs are not especially numerous and this one was a beauty.

I drove her home a few hours later.
2010 370Z 40th Anniversary (#480 born 1/19/2010)
Fast Intentions Twin Turbo | Varis Arising II | Limited Edition Recaro Sportster | Tuned by Specialty Z | 604hp 525 torque @14lbs boost on 100 octane

Last edited by Arrvaxx; 08-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Arrvaxx is offline   Reply With Quote