View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
beltonr
Base Member

Drives: 2010 Roadster
beltonr is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to get rid of little squeaks/rattles above and forward of my left ear for a while - have added ties, foam insulation strips, electrical tape here and there. Last weekend I took some silicone spray, opened the top so the forward section was straight up, and sprayed the joints and hinges. I also sprayed a rag and rubbed it along the top of the windshield and front of the top where it contacts the top of the windshield. I also hit the points where the roof sections come together when the top is closed just above the side window. Big difference! Seems like a lot of the squeaks were plastic on plastic or rubber on plastic. The silicone makes a difference. Probably have to do it every few months or so, but it's working for now. Cheap, easy, quick fix.
Silicone spray is an old dealer trick I stumbled when I had another car in the shop for a rattle. They will spray the snot out of the area with silicone and that will often "fix" a rattle long enough to get you out of their hair and on your way. I saw the service rep spraying something in my car and asked him what he was doing - he 'fessed up.
beltonr is offline   Reply With Quote