Thread: Which Headunit
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
DeEePiDDy
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z CY MT
DeEePiDDy is on a distinguished road

First had a Pioneer x920bt installed in my Z back in 2010. Had zero issues with it and enjoyed the unit, but yearned for a larger screen.

In 2012 got a Kenwood Excellon DNX9990HD installed which by most reviews was touted as being the "top of the line" and "best on the market" by numerous sources.

Had to send the unit in to Kenwood TWICE to get repaired. First because it was doing this repeating boot and would not load up or even turn off unless you disconnected the car battery, which apparently was a big problem for the entire line. The second time was because one of the USB ports was not being recognized by the unit.

Other complaints I have about this unit is the Garmin nav is slow and clunky. Another is how the unit loads data off the USB drives. When you turn on the unit the screen first reads, no drive connected... Then reads the thumb drive and then finally resumes where you left off with your media. The Pioneer I had loaded and resumed instantaneously. Also the Pioneer would allow me to jump to different points of the music or video by punching in the time I would like to go to. The Kenwood requires you to manually fast forward to spots like its an old 80s cassette player.

A final gripe I have with the Kenwood is with the Bluetooth phone connect. My Pioneer would just play my phones ringtone through the speakers while the Kenwood just plays its own generic ringtones.

For MY PEROSNAL NEEDS I Honestly regret getting this Kenwood. I should have kept my Pioneer as is or upgraded to a 7inch Pioneer.