View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

Helping someone find a car is always an adventure.

1- If you have 26 miles of driving a day, both ways, you really want to make sure MPG isn't dismal.

2- I'd eliminate the Dodges up front. The Challenger is more of a weekender and the Charger...is a Charger. I dislike Mustangs because I see 10 of them a day. But the Charger...I see about 20 a day and I never like those bloated hogs.

3- Do you need 4 doors? If so, don't think about the Z.

4- Do you live where you need winter driver ability in this car? Would put some weight towards AWD or FWD cars.

5- Does your work commute involve terribly maintained roads? Put some weight into the comfort of the drive.

6- Do you have any other big money items you could buy in the next few years, like a home? If so, I'd finance a cheaper car and save up the leftover for your home or whatever.

Thankfully you're not looking at exclusive cars that salespeople will balk at just letting you test drive. You should be able to walk in and test drive any of these and see if you like them. You might even be able to rent a few of these for a week and try them out on your drive, depending on where you live.

For a DD purchase with plenty of options, I'd definitely steer you towards renting as many of these as you can and doing a week of living with it. And don't discount going with an econobox as a DD and using the leftover money for a fun car. You don't need to spend a bunch of money on raw HP and luxury if you just like to toss a car around. A used will be fun.

(With what is given, and a very quick glance over the cars [I admit I don't know a couple of these very well since they're not on my radar] I, too, went Benz here.)
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote